Parishes in the area have announced sandbag distribution will begin Thursday ahead of tropical weather.
St. Tammany Parish will have sandbags available between 7:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- St. Tammany Parish Government - Building C, 21410 Koop Dr., Mandeville
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works - Airport Road Barn, 34783 Grantham College Rd., Slidell
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works - Fritchie Barn, 63119 Highway 1090 in Pearl River
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works Barn- Keller Barn, 63131 Fish Hatchery Road, Lacombe
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works Barn - Covington Barn, 1305 N. Florida Street, Covington
St. Bernard Parish says sandbags will be available between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. at the Port. Residents should enter the road to the port off West St. Bernard Highway at Keane Drive, next to the old Kaiser smokestack, and follow the road to the rear of the port, near the Mississippi River levee.
In St. John the Baptist Parish, self-serve sandbag locations will be set up by 8 am on Thursday at the following locations:
- Intersection of Bamboo Road and Indigo Pkwy (near Lake Pontchartrain Elementary)
- Railroad Avenue Fire Station (near Riverside Academy)
- Ezekiel Jackson Park in Garyville
- West Bank Complex
- Wallace, Edgard & Pleasure Bend Fire Stations
You will need to bring your own shovel and be ready to fill your own bags. Pre-filled sandbags for the elderly and disabled will be available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. at 425 Captain G. Bourgeois in LaPlace.
Photo: Getty Images