As severe weather and a possible hurricane threatens the region, residents should make sure to prepare.
The National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration says there are several key ways people can be prepared when facing dangerous weather:
- Residents should find out whether they are in an evacuation area as well as checking for warnings and watches.
- Try to assess how vulnerable your home is to storms, flooding and harsh winds.
- Keep an emergency contact list including hospitals, law enforcement and emergency management offices.
- Build a basic disaster supplies kit including perishable food, water, flashlights and first aid kits.
- Prepare a home evacuation plan for yourself and any pets.
- Also, several parishes are handing out sandbags to insulate your home and property, including St. Bernard, St. Tammany, St. James, St. Charles, Plaquemines and Washington as well as Franklinton town and Bogalusa city.
Copyright © 2019 TTWN Media Networks LLC Photo: Getty Images