Southern University is banning open flames at the tailgate for the home opener against Jackson State this Saturday.
This change is in compliance with the state fire marshal's statewide burn ban that was put into effect last month.
The Southern University School System says the open-flame ban applies to grilling with propane, pellets, or charcoal, as well as to grill pits and fire pits.
Electric grilling will be permitted, but the university encourages fans to cook offsite and bring their food to the tailgate areas.
Copyright © 2023 TTWN Media Networks Inc.